Thursday, September 14, 2006

Hashing Hell

Well what a fun couple of days that was !, sometimes you make decisions and in the back of your mind you know that the decision you're about to make will bite you in the butt at some point. But regardless you make that decision anyway, so one of my many 'ahhh, it'll be alright for now' decisions came back to bite me as my rather naive algorithm for creating hashes finally broke and I started getting collisions.

This resulted in me having to change the size of my hash from 16 bit to 32 bit which invalidated my data for all my projects and I've just now finished migrating all the data over to the new format.

In a way it helped me clear up alot of little issues I had in my editor as well as making my hashing much more reliable (by the way this is what I used, excellent fast hash function http://www.azillionmonkeys.com/qed/hash.html), but put me back a couple of days, actually come to think of it I was setting the behaviour hooks and classes for all my known Apartments objects, so wasn't even on the pathfinding, frick!!! I'm going backwards...

Anyway, even though alot of work has been done nothing on what I actually wanted to do , so hopefully now I'll get back onto the hooks and classes setup and after that, which should be quite quick, onto pathing finding again.

Wii price point announced today, looks like I'll be preordering one of these from the States and using the cliched 'it's for research and I require it for my job' excuse to the other half.....

M

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home