Thursday, November 30, 2006

And so Another Month Indeed Flies Past !!!!

Well, it was October the 19th since my last entry and it makes me feel a little lazy but to be fair I'm working full time and only doing this in whatever spare time I can find, still need to be a bit more disciplined though.

Also I've just ordered a Dell 24" widescreen fabby LCD, that'll get me more focused... or maybe not ? Anyway, on with the update

Pathing Finding Version 1 Done

ATs can now pick any object in the Apartment Block and navigate their way to it using the stairs etc., there still alot of odds and ends to finish off like

Smoothing the path
Localised avoidance
Partial path blocking to stop ATs sharing the same path
Addreffing nodes for when furniture is placed down and removed
Only enabling the IK when I use stairs or slopes, triggers slightly when the ATs walk causing a slight stutter currently


But I'm happy this is done. And to top it off it's super fast so I can place down tons of ATs and they all use the same system with very little overhead.


Anyway here are a couple of screenshots


In doing this it also made me realise how bad underengineering can be, I'm a classic over engineer but I realise I need to sometimes curb my ambition just to get the simple things working but I went a bit too far this time and ended up with a system that felt hacky, not-reusable and quite hard to debug because of all the special case issues. So in future I'll still curb my ambition but prefer to be slightly more over engineery than under.

So what now, well, I want to clean up some of the pathfinding, not too much mind you as it may well change when I start putting in some of the other missing features such as character avoidance and furniture avoidance. Then I will move onto the data driven animation state machine which I've been looking forward to getting started, it'll be a refreshing move to Stig for a while as I have some test cases in there for testing it, lets hope my Dell LCD doesn't distract me too much, or my WII, or GOW, or Zelda... ohhh sh*t, I'm not gonna be back before Christmas am I ?! Oh well , if not have a Happy Christmas and New Year.

M

1 Comments:

At 5:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

24 inches flat screen.
I am jealous. I want one of those too, let's hope that Father Christmas is reading your blog.

Jean-Claude

 

Post a Comment

<< Home